How does Trux use location sharing?
Trux relies on tracking to bring the work to you. By knowing your truck's location, we are able to:
- help you navigate to job start/end locations with your favorite navigation app
- alert the job site or plant when you are nearby or have arrived and are ready to haul
- let the job site know your ETA so that they can clear the area and be ready to receive your delivery (and not waste your time making you wait)
- verify for how long you have been at plant/job site. This is can help you calculate and verify standby/wait times on jobs where you are paid for this extra time
- let the plant know when you are nearby and available to take more loads (and make more money!)
- verify load delivery time and location in case of a dispute - this protects you!
If your mobile phone is not set up properly to share your location, you won’t be able to find, accept, or punch-in to your jobs.
When do we track your location?
Truckers are only tracked from the time they punch-in to a specific job assignment/shift until the time they punch out or at the conclusion of their load for their last assignment.
What’s required to get accurate location data?
Tracking accuracy is dependent on several things:
- The Trux Drive app must be open on your mobile device. This does not mean you have to have the app in the foreground and showing on your screen. The app can be “minimized” (backgrounded) with other apps running in the foreground (e.g., allowing you to navigate with a GPS app or place/accept a phone call, text, etc.).
- You must have punched in to your job
- You must have Location Services enabled (see below)
If any of these conditions are not met, you will not be able to see and accept available jobs or be able to punch-in to your jobs.
Enabling Location Services for Trux
Because Trux relies on location sharing, you must have “Always Allow” selected for Location Services. Make sure you follow these steps to enable location services correctly.
Select your device below to jump to that section.
Apple (iOS) Devices
Follow these steps to configure the Location Settings for your iPhone.
Open the Settings on your device
Scroll down and tap the Trux Drive app.
Selecting “Always” allows the app to access your location when the app is in the background, allowing you to use other apps (like navigation) while you are punched in to your jobs.
Apple iOS 13 special considerations
Apple recently released a new mobile operating system version called iOS 13. This release included an update to how location sharing permissions are granted by users. If you have upgraded to Apple iOS 13, you may be prompted periodically to confirm your Trux app location settings. The first time you are prompted, you will receive the following message:
If you receive this message, you should tap “Allow While Using App.” At some point later you will be prompted again to confirm your location settings with the following message:
When you receive this message, you should respond by tapping “Change to Always Allow”. At some point later after using the app, you may again be prompted to confirm your location settings for the Trux app with the following message:
This time and always, you should respond by taping “Allow Always”. Your iPhone settings should now be set up to track location when punched in to jobs.
Follow these steps to configure the Location Settings for your Android device.
Open the Settings on your device.
Tap the Search icon in Settings.
Search for and select Trux Drive.
Tap the Location toggle button to turn on location services.
NOTE: The above instructions were written using Android version 9, but these steps should be similar to other, recent versions of Android.
Android v10 special considerations
Google recently released v10 of its mobile operating system. This release included an update to how location sharing permissions are granted by users. If you have upgraded to Android v10, you can update your location permissions directly from the Settings menu following these steps. (See How do I know what operating system I have? to determine which version you are currently using.)
Open the Settings on your device.
Toggle Use Location on. Tap App permission.
Tap Allow only while using the app. NOTE: depending on your Android version and mobile carrier, you may be given the option to select Always Allow. Select this option if it is available.
With Android version 10x, you also need to set your Location Accuracy to ON. Tap Location permission at the top of the screen to go back one screen.
Tap Google Location Accuracy to turn this setting ON.
If you haven't updated your Settings to provide Trux with access as described above, you may be prompted to confirm your Trux app location settings with the following message. NOTE: depending on your Android version and mobile carrier, you may be given the option to select Always Allow. Select this option if it is available.